WASHINGTON — After attacks Tuesday by Iran, President Donald Trump said Wednesday that nobody was harmed in the attacks that Iran “appears to be standing down.”
In his address from the White House on Wednesday, Trump defended the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasim Soleimani last week and said new economic sanctions will be placed on Iran in response to the attacks.
“The American people should be extremely grateful and happy no Americans were harmed,” Trump said in his remarks. “Our great American forces are prepared for anything. Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world.”
Trump said the killing of Soleimani was necessitated due to his training of terrorist armies and the launching of terrorist strikes against civilians. Trump also said Soleimani was responsible for deaths of thousands of U.S. troops and had directed recent attacks in Iraq that killed one American and badly wounded four others. According to Trump, Soleimani was planning new attacks as well.
“Soleimani’s hands were drenched in both American and Iranian blood,” Trump said. “He should have been terminated long ago. By removing Soleimani, we have sent a powerful message to terrorists: If you value your own life, you will not threaten the lives of our people.”
Trump said the sanctions being placed on Iran will remain “until Iran changes its behavior.”
He also said he is asking NATO to increase its involvement in the Middle East.