Suwannee Democrat

November 14, 2012

Local firefighter death under investigation in Polk County

Initial investigation shows he may have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning

Staff
Suwannee Democrat

Live Oak — Authorities in Polk County are investigating the death of local firefighter William Scott Collins, 39. According to Carrie S. Eleazer, public information officer for Polk County Sheriff’s Office, it appears Collins died from carbon monoxide poisoning. 


Collins, of Live Oak who worked at the Live Oak Fire Department, was found unresponsive in his hunting cabin around 6:30 p.m. yesterday (Nov. 13).


“William’s sister had asked his friends to check on him because he was not answering his phone all day,” said Eleazer. “When they went to his hunting cabin and found him unresponsive, they called us. He was last seen alive by these same friends with whom he had gone hunting on the 12th, when he returned to his cabin to go to sleep.”


Eleazer said when deputies arrived, there was an abundance of exhaust fumes inside the cabin, coming from a generator that was positioned near the cabin window air conditioning unit.
“

There was no trauma to the body, and no foul play is suspected – it appears at this time that he may have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, but an autopsy will be conducted today to confirm,” Eleazer said.