Senior Scientist Pamela McElroy from Environmental Consulting and Technology (ECT) addressed the Hamilton County Board of County Commissioners at their July 1 meeting to propose funding options for cleaning up environmental conditions at various locations throughout the county. McElroy said ECT is one of only two entities in the state who provide these services.
ECT is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting services firm established in 1988 and headquartered in Gainesville. They have 20 offices throughout the country with eight of them in the state of Florida.
“We do a full suite of environmental services,” said McElroy.
Some of those services include professional engineering, industrial hygiene, air quality, asbestos and lead paint, site assessment and remediation, regulatory compliance, geology, hydrology and water resources, ecology and wetlands, and planning, reuse and redevelopment/grant funding.
McElroy said the reason she was there was to present innovative environmental solutions using a community-wide EPA Brownfield Assessment grant. Jasper, Jennings and White Springs, she said, all have known and unknown environmental conditions at various locations within those cities, as well as within the county.
“Jasper has 10 petroleum locations and one waste cleanup location,” she said.
The 10 petroleum locations are:
- Jasper Laundry and Dry Cleaners, 214 SW 1 St. (pending other cleanup)
- Mina and Nana Thrift Shop, 104 3rd Ave. SW (active petroleum cleanup)
- Amoco Station, 402 SW Hatley St. (active petroleum cleanup)
- McLeod Construction Co., 1114 Hwy. 41 N. (active petroleum cleanup)
- Jasper-City (former ESP Warehouse), 506 Martin Luther King Dr. and SE 4th Ave. (active petroleum cleanup)
- Hamilton County School Board old bus garage, Hwy. 6 E. (active petroleum cleanup)
- S&S Food Store #16, 406 Hatley St. SW (active petroleum cleanup)
- JR Food Store #295, US 41 and 129 N. (pending petroleum cleanup)
- Wagoner property, 104 2nd Ave. SE (pending petroleum cleanup)
- Quickway Food Store, 6737 S. Hwy. 129 (pending petroleum cleanup)
For the town of Jennings there are three petroleum locations. They are: