Suwannee Democrat

Home

January 24, 2013

Mobile home in Jasper destroyed by fire

Jasper — A Jasper family escaped injury when their mobile home went up in flames Friday night due to a faulty electrical outlet, according to Hamilton County Fire/Rescue (HCFR).

Reports show that at around 11 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 18, homeowners Lewis and Betty Hand of 11415 NE 38 St. in Jasper were at home with four other family members when they smelled smoke coming from the left front room of the house, which was used as a sewing/computer room.

HCFR units arrived within nine minutes after the emergency call came in and they found the mobile home fully involved with flames. All six occupants at the residence had already escaped from the home with no injuries.

The fire was extinguished with mutual aid from Genoa Volunteer Fire Department. The state fire marshal was contacted for investigation and found that the fire was started from a faulty electrical outlet in a front room of the home. The mobile home and its contents were deemed a total loss.

A family member stated all occupants of the home are now staying with relatives and the incident has been turned over to the homeowners’ insurance company.

1
Text Only
Local News
Suwannee Democrat
Sports
Jasper News

Mayo Free Press

Arrest Record
VIDEO

Features

Meetings
Opinion
AP Video
Entertainment

Must Read
Business Marquee
Election 2014
AP Video
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
House Ads
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Poll

If you found money lying on the ground, you would:

Pick it up and keep it.
Pick it up and turn it over to authorities.
Ignore it.
     View Results