A $7.7 million improvement project in Jasper began July 14 and is expected to be completed in the spring of next year.
U.S. 41 between U.S. 129 South and State Road 6 is being resurfaced and extensive drainage improvements made in the downtown Jasper area.
Nearly nine miles of roadway is being improved and other work includes adding more than 2,300 feet of drainage pipe along Second Avenue Northwest, Martin Luther King Drive, Third Street Southeast and First Avenue Southeast. There will be detours during the drainage improvements phase.
The following streets will be closed for extended periods of time for these drainage improvements:
· First Avenue Southeast from the Family Dollar to Third Street Southeast
· Second Avenue Northwest from just north of First Street Northwest to the north side of Hatley Street West
· Third Street Southeast from First Avenue Southeast to the existing drainage on the east side of the Central Avenue walking/bike trail
· Between City Hall & Jasper Fire and Rescue from Hatley Street West to Martin Luther King Drive Southwest
· Martin Luther King Drive Southwest from the western City Hall driveway to the west side of the Central Avenue trail
· Hatley Street West from west side of Second Avenue Northwest to the driveway directly across from Jasper City Hall and Jasper Fire and Rescue Department
Other safety improvements include repairing and replacing sidewalk between Central Avenue and Northwest 15th Avenue and adding handicap accessible ramps at the side streets, replacing guardrail at the Alapaha River and overflow bridges and adding it at 91st Lane, widening the side street entrance for access onto U.S. 41 from Southwest 99th Street, upgrading pedestrian signals and repairing various driveways.
FDOT hired Anderson Columbia Company, Inc. of Lake City to complete the work. Bad weather may delay completion. An average of 6,100 vehicles travel through downtown Jasper each day. This section of roadway was last resurfaced in 1998.
For additional information regarding this project or other FDOT projects around Northeast Florida, visit www.nflroads.com or call 800-475-0044. Follow FDOT on Twitter @MyFDOT_NEFL and Facebook at www.facebook.com/MYFDOTNEFL.com for the latest updates.