Live Oak —
By Brian Estevez
4-H/Youth Development Agent
UF/IFAS Extension Suwannee County
4-H’ers are exploring science, technology, and career fields from aerospace to zoology, and everything in between. Help a youth begin his or her journey. Whether in the arts or technology, medicine or sports, business or government, Suwannee County 4-H needs your help to provide opportunities for youth to learn and grow. No matter what your experience, your age, or the amount of time you have to give, there is a place for you in Suwannee County 4-H.
Volunteers are needed in all parts of Suwannee County for all types of activities and events. We welcome adults over the age of 18 who are committed to being a positive role model for youth.
Your life, your time
Your calendar is full. Your to-do list is jammed. You want to help, but it seems impossible to find the time. Don’t panic. You don’t have to give up your life to make a difference in the life of a young person.
We understand you have to balance many growing and important interests, commitments, and responsibilities. You can choose programs or activities that fit your schedule. You’ll be surprised how flexible Suwannee County 4-H is.
After deciding your interest and availability, you’ll meet with a 4-H/youth development team member to ensure a good fit. Training and support are provided. We’ll find a place for you.
Work with youth
* Work as a mentor though our 4-H club program, leading and advising youth as they grow strong.
* Be a mentor and guide youth as they explore their interests and learn about possible careers.
* Teach a workshop and help youth learn a skill you’re passionate about.
* Lead a group of teens through a series of fun, hands-on science experiments.
Reach out to the community
* Help plan and execute local community service projects.
* Be an advisor to youth working on public speaking projects, preparing college scholarship applications, starting a business, starting a garden, or just caring for pets.
* Be a translator and work with youth in non-English speaking communities.
* Act as a media coordinator in your area and work with social media, local newspapers, radio, and TV to gain publicity for 4-H.
Develop your leadership skills
* Organize and direct events for 4-H’ers and potential members.
* Plan activities, coordinate training and fund raising, or serve as a liaison with community organizations.
* Manage “special events” such as a summer day camp or Holiday Bakeoff.
* Plan and implement programs for youth throughout your community.
Share your skills and interests
* Lead a group of youth on an outdoor adventure or tour a local farm, government office, or business.
* Facilitate special-interest workshops.
* Provide leadership or skills-based workshops for youth.
* Sponsor a 4-H club through your business or civic organization.
Need more reasons to join?
* Work with young people
* Challenge yourself
* Reach out to the community
* Enhance your skills
* Share your passions
* Have fun
For more information, please contact Brian Estevez at the UF/IFAS Extension Office in Suwannee County at 386-362-2771. UF/IFAS Extension in Suwannee County is an Equal Opportunity Institution.