With Suwannee's win Friday night over Bishop Kenny, the Dogs drew one step closer to snagging a spot in the playoffs. In spite of two critical Dog mistakes that gave Bishop Kenny two touchdowns, the Dogs prevailed and won 21-14.

Thirty minutes before the game was due to start, a monsoon broke over Jacksonville sending floods of rain pouring out of the sky for over an hour. Players, cheerleaders, fans and officials hovered under shelter as the skies darkened, lightning flashed and rain hammered down. The game was a crucial district match. The officials wanted it played. So everyone waited. At 9:30 p.m., a full two hours of rain delay, the game started.

The crowd was thin on both sides of the field. The weather scared away all but the staunchest fans. Suwannee's head coach has finally settled on an offense for the Dogs. Working out of an I formation, the Dogs ran the ball for most of the night, a good choice with the field a sloppy mess. The Dogs used Jarrett Yulee and Brandon Allen as their two workhorse running backs.

The Dogs had the field first and immediately began moving the ball downfield. Taj Roundtree took the ball in for Suwannee's first touchdown. With 9:16 left to play in the first quarter, the Dogs had struck. Cameron Ridgeway's point-after kick was good. Suwannee led 7-0.

Coach Bennett had stated prior to the game that Bishop Kenny would run the ball. Contrary to this expectation, BK came out in their first possession throwing. Bishop Kenny moved the ball rapidly down field with a series of short passes. Suwannee's Keith Brown picked off a BK pass and ran for 20 yards. The Dogs had the ball on the BK 35.

A quick Roundtree pass to #81 Brandon Cook landed Suwannee on the 15. BK held and Ridgeway tried for a field goal. The field goal was no good and the Dogs turned the ball over to Bishop Kenny on the 12 as the first quarter ended.

Michael Wright and a host of Suwannee defensive backs began to put pressure on the Bishop Kenny quarterback. BK's quarterback spent a lot of time pushing up sod during the game. Wright sacked him for a loss forcing a punt.

After the punt, Suwannee had great field position on the BK 35. Yulee gained three and Allen got the first down on the 20. Roundtree was sacked but came back and tossed one to Mario Hawthorne for 16 yards. It was a fourth and 12 situation. Roundtree passed to Shaun Brewer. It was good for a first down on the 10. Allen carried the ball to the one and Yulee scored with 4:21 left in the half. Ridgeway's PAT was good. Suwannee was up 14-0.

Bishop Kenny fumbled in their next possession. Terrell Roman recovered it for the Dogs on the BK 35. Suwannee was unable to capitalize on the fumble and turned the ball over to BK on downs. Lee Laxton sacked the Bishop Kenny quarterback once again and the half ended with Suwannee in the lead 14-0.

Bishop Kenny, playing out of the shotgun, came out throwing after the half. Wright and Starling caught the Bishop Kenny quarterback in the backfield again. Laxton sacked him after that. Bishop Kenny carried the ball to the Dog 20 and tried for a field goal. It was no good and Suwannee took over. But Suwannee couldn't advance and gave the ball back to Bishop Kenny on downs.

Once again Suwannee's defense took it to the BK quarterback. Terrell Roman and Derek Philpot sacked him. Then Brewer threw him for a huge loss after a bad snap. Bishop Kenny was on their third down with 26 yards to get a first. They punted.

Suwannee's offense fumbled and BK recovered on their own 47. Bishop Kenny's quarterback went down to three different Dogs three different times and Bishop Kenny had to punt again. But Bishop Kenny intercepted a Roundtree pass in the closing seconds of the third quarter and scored in the first seconds of the fourth.

In Suwannee's next series they fumbled and Bishop Kenny recovered on the Dog eight-yard line. BK scored. With 10 minutes left in the game, the score was tied at 14.

The Dogs did not take their misfortune lying down. In the next series, the Dogs made a steady trek downfield. Yulee made a 37-yard run for a Suwannee first down on the Bishop Kenny 20. Roundtree got a huge first down on the five-yard line. Allen carried the ball in for a Dog touchdown with 7:15 left to play. The PAT was good and Suwannee was once again in the lead 21-14.

The Dogs held Bishop Kenny for the remainder of the game. The final score was 21-14. This was a huge win for the Dogs. Friday they play Jackson in the Dog House. Jackson beat Raines last Friday to change everything in our district. Raines is 3-1. Bishop Kenny is 2-2. Suwannee and Jackson are both tied at 2-1 going into the Friday night game. Baker is in the district cellar at 0-4 If Suwannee beats Jackson Friday, Raines is the district champ and Suwannee is the runner-up. If Jackson wins, they take the district championship and Raines is the district runner-up.

First Federal Offensive Player of the Game was Brandon Allen. Allen was a workhorse for Suwannee as a running back and scored the winning touchdown.

First Federal Defensive Player of the Game was Keith Brown for his crucial interception.

Come out and support the Dogs as they play this critical district match Friday night against Jackson. Game time is 7:30 p.m. Go Dogs!

This Week's Circulars